Battery storage enables homeowners to use stored energy at home. It contributes to the renewable energy mix and is a central part of reducing emission targets across the UK. They are designed to produce energy intermittently and are a great source of power that will help lower your energy bills and transform your home into something much more economically sustainable.
Typically, a UK home will only consume 50% of the energy generated by their solar PV array. Battery storage will retain this unused energy for use at a later date or time.
The benefits of battery storage include:
- Battery storage allows you to use more of your self-generated electricity. As such, you have less reliance on the electrical grid and you have more control over your costs i.e., less reliance on electrical supplier and their price fluctuations.
- Any electricity generated by your solar panels which isn’t instantly used is stored for you to use in your own home at your convenience.
- By adding a battery storage solution to a new or existing solar array means your home could realistically expect to consume 85%+ of the energy generated. This extra consumption replaces grid demand and costs and supplements the solar supply when solar cannot meet full demand.
- Less reliance from the grid and fossil fuel production means you save carbon and have a better rated Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) for your home for self-builders looking to pass SAP assessment and attain planning permissions.
- Batteries are flexible meaning they can be installed for new installation and retro-fit
- Battery systems offer cost-effective, simple installations in the retrofit market, with DC-coupled and AC-coupled solutions available. Customers installing PV at the same time as a battery are likely to have greater flexibility and lower installation costs.
- Grid Charging and Backup – certain battery systems can charge from the grid and provide power during outages.
- Smart technology can dictate to the battery when energy prices are lower. The battery then charges during this lower price/rate time and the customer gets cheaper electricity.